Ben Shafton is a graduate of Yale University and the University of California Boalt Hall college of law. Ben started out defending people accused of crimes as a public defender. He moved to private practice where his diverse interests pushed him to take on cases ranging from automobile accidents to complex federal litigation.
Ben also trained under a renowned Estate Planning attorney giving him experience in estate planning, trusts and probate litigation. At the same time Ben learned the tools of the trade in complex business transactions and business litigation. Ben served on the Clark County Land Use Planning Board for many years gaining insight into real estate law that few other lawyers gain.
Ben is one of the most respected attorneys and litigators in the state of Washington. He has been recognized by Washington Super Lawyers as a preeminent lawyer since the inception of that rating in 1992. Ben has been AV peer review rated by Martindale Hubbell since before 1990.
Ben Shafton also has an impressive history of winning important appellate cases, the list below is but a partial list of his appellate cases.
- J.D., University of California at Berkeley, Boalt Hall School of Law (1973)
- B.A., Cum Laude, Yale University (1970)
- Oregon, 1986
- Washington, 1975
- California, 1973
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington, 1979
- Clark County Bar Association (Chairman, Indigent Defense Committee, 1980 – 1984)
- Bench Bar Committee, 1984 – 1986
- Washington State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar
- Washington State Trial Lawyers Association (Eagle Member, 1986 – Present)
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- State v. Hall, 104 Wn.2d 486, 706 P.2d 1074 (1985)
- In Re: Hagen, 21 Wn. App. 169, 584 P.2d 446 (1978)
- Henery v. Robinson, 67 Wn. App. 2 77, 834 P.2d 1091 (1992)
- Barney v. Safeco Ins., 73 Wn. App. 426, 869 P. 1093 (1994)
- Port of Longview v. International Raw Materials, 96 Wn. App. 431, 979 P.2d 917 (1999)
- Wiley v. Rehak, 143 Wn. 2d 339, 20 P.3d 404 (2001)
- Truck Insurance Exchange v. VanPort Homes, 147 Wn. 2d 751, 58 P.3d 276 (2002)
- Boag v. Farmers, 117 Wn. App. 116 (2003)