Vancouver Slip and Fall Attorney

Seeking Legal Representation After a Fall or Crash In The State of Washington

Walkways are often wet in Washington state, which increases the risk of slips and falls. It also increases the likelihood of traffic accidents on slippery roads and highways. The victims of traffic or slip-and-fall accidents may be seriously hurt and require compensation to cover the resulting costs. It is these victims who are in need of a Vancouver personal injury attorney.

In Washington and elsewhere in the country, tort laws are designed to help pedestrians and motorists who suffer physical and psychological harm from the negligence of others. In the case of a slip-and-fall accident, the victim would be expected to pursue damages under the principles of premises liability. Under these rules, business or property owners are expected to maintain their walkways, which should be properly designed and built, uncluttered and free from the accumulation of water or other slippery substances. Their failure to comply with these rules can make the owners liable for damages in the event of an accident. However, winning such a case may not be an easy task.

After a fall, the property owner may try to claim that the victim did something careless to cause or worsen his or her injury. If successful, the defendant may be able to reduce the amount being sought by the plaintiff significantly. In representing the victim, a personal injury attorney will study the circumstances of the accident, enlisting experts if necessary, to help determine who was most responsible and thus who is liable for damages. The attorney may agree to an out-of-court settlement or, in the interests of the client, could decide to take the case before a jury. Vehicular accidents can be even more complicated events, often lacking clear evidence as to who is most responsible.

After a traffic crash, it is important to record as much information as possible at the scene. In the event of severe injuries, it would be wise to seek proper legal representation. An attorney can help victims obtain the compensation needed to cover medical expenses, lost wages and even for the emotional pain and suffering related to their injuries. Whether you experience a fall while walking or a crash while driving, you should consider turning to our personal injury attorney at CCRS Law in Vancouver to help you obtain the justice you deserve.

Under Insured Motorist Insurance in Washington State

By statute and court decision Washington state has developed a consumer friendly law of under insured motorist insurance. Under insured motorist coverage provides you with insurance when the at fault party has no insurance or does not have enough insurance. This coverage is also known by the abbreviations UM and UIM. Lawyers use UM for the completely uninsured driver. If the at fault driver has some insurance, but not enough to fully compensate our client the term UIM is used.

UIM must be offered with any new policy of automobile liability insurance issued in Washington state. If the consumer does not knowingly waive the coverage, in writing, the coverage will be in effect in an amount equal to the liability coverage whether the product was offered or not. This is “first party” coverage affording protection to the named insured, family members and in may cases passengers using the vehicle with permission.

In Washington UIM coverage “floats” on the liability coverage carried by the under insured driver. This floating layer of coverage is available to pay damages exceeding the under insured motorist’s liability coverage plus other first party coverage under PIP or Med Pay.

Non-owned vehicles. One benefit of UIM coverage is that it will provide coverage for you or a family member while riding in an non-owned vehicle. Some insurance companies (Safeco and Country Mutual for example) “float” your UIM coverage on any UIM coverage on the other vehicle. This is known as “excess” insurance. Others (State Farm, many Farmers policies) do not provide “excess” coverage. This is a valuable benefit and you should ask your agent about it when shopping for insurance.

Guest Passenger Coverage. Under Washington law permits but does not require an insurance company to afford UIM coverage to permissive passengers. Look for an exclusion in the UIM coverage for passengers who are covered by the liability coverage of the policy. As with Non-owned vehicles, not all companies offer the same coverage. You could be paying for a premium policy (State Farm for example) only to discover that it does not afford as much coverage as a less expensive policy.

UIM coverage is a tremendous bargain and should not be declined unless the only alternative is no coverage at all.

Ridgefield Teen Killed Another Injured

A 17-year-old Ridgefield High School student died and another was injured in a single-car crash on a rural Clark County road Wednesday night.

The accident happened around 8:30 p.m. at NW Main and 291st streets, near the Ridgefield Wildlife Refuge. The 17-year-old driver was taken to the hospital. His passenger, Tanner Kaine Trosko, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Officials told KOIN 6 News the driver was trying to make a 90-degree turn and lost control, flipped over and landed on its top. The teen was driving a 1960 Ford F-25 pickup truck.

The driver is the son of the owner of TLC Towing. That company has a contract with the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, and because of that, the Vancouver Police Department was asked to lead the investigation.

Many students learned of the teen’s death through social media.

Read the full story: